Wednesday, November 3, 2010

New Crew Member!

Meet Lizzie!  Lizzie is a sophomore at DePaul studying Education.  It is obvious Lizzie wants to be a teacher because she is amazing in the homework room! Whenever a student is having trouble with their homework and we can't explain it well we all say, "Go ask Lizzie." 

"Hello! My name is Lizzie Andriese and I am a sophomore at DePaul University as an Elementary Education Major and Community Service and Spanish Minor.  I grew up in Traverse City, MI where I have two younger siblings Allie and Teddy.  I started volunteer work when I was a freshman in high school when I traveled to Honduras to provide medical services for the rural and impoverished areas.  I traveled along side doctors and nurses to assist them in giving the Honduran children vitamin A and de-worming medications.  After that experience I always felt passionate about service work, especially once I started after and in school homework help my junior year of high school.  Since then I received the DePaul Community Service Scholarship where I not only minor in Community Service but complete 30 hours every 10 weeks.  I just began working with DePaul Hoops and the students at Kelly Y about a month ago.  Previously I worked with Chicago HOPES tutoring youth in homeless shelters, Inspiration Café where I worked in a computer lab helping homeless adults with job applications or house hunting, and in the North Lawndale Community at YMEN (Young Men’s Education Network) where I tutored middle school through high school boys after school hours.  I really enjoy working with the students at Kelly Y and love being apart of their lives as a consistent face in their academic progression.  I look forward to working with the kids twice a week, knowing they are always able to brighten my day.  I look forward to continuing working with Hoops and Kelly Y, hoping for the best for all the students."

No comments:

Post a Comment